Christmas in Candyland can be again in full drive this yr and can embrace New 12 months’s Eve fireworks, new Chamber of Commerce Government Director Laura Wells instructed the Andalusia Metropolis Council Tuesday night time.
Wells introduced a finances for the occasion, which is collectively sponsored by the Andalusia Space Chamber and the Metropolis of Andalusia. The council unanimously permitted.
Wells stated that the annual vacation occasion was modified final yr to permit precautions for the pandemic. This yr, Christmas in Candyland will once more embrace prepare rides, the Polar Bear Slide, and winter skating.
“All of our attractions will be back open,” she stated.
Native bands and the Andalusia Ballet will carry out on a model new occasion stage, she stated, including that different favorites like “Cocoa with Characters,” images with “Elsa” in her enchanted backyard, and Santa appearances are also deliberate.
The flower show in Elsa’s setting is being expanded, Wells stated.
And this yr, Christmas in Candyland will shut with New 12 months’s Eve fireworks.
“We were thinking about how fireworks close the night at Disney World,” Wells stated. “We thought it would be great to do that here.”
Wells stated a Candyland app developed a number of years in the past is being redesigned as a scavenger hunt in hopes of interesting to younger teenagers who can use their telephones for the search.
The proposed finances is $102,326, which incorporates the growth of lights within the downtown space and the enchanted backyard lights. A portion of that finances can be coated by sponsorships bought by the Chamber, Wells stated.
The annual occasion, which started in 2014, drew 69,852 visits in 2020, regardless of having fewer points of interest due to pandemic precautions.
Christmas in Candyland will open on Friday, Dec. 3. An entire schedule is obtainable at christmasincandyland.com.
In different enterprise, the council:
- Agreed to pursue an ATRIP II grant that, if obtained, would change visitors patterns on East Three Notch Avenue.
- Agreed to hunt bids to switch the oldest autos within the Andalusia Police Division’s fleet.
- Authorised the acquisition of a brand new tractor with attachments for right-of-way upkeep.
- Authorised a decision figuring out prices of abatements at 605 East Three Notch Avenue; 101 Pecan Avenue; and 612 South Three Notch Avenue.
- Authorised abatements of properties at 404 Third Avenue; 629 West Watson St.; 204 Chickasaw St.; 315 King St.; 222 Knox St.; and 1105 Lenora Lane.